I'm sure that you have seen movies where the characters have slices of cucumbers put over their eyes while being pampered and it does look pretty relaxing. But why is this and does it actually works? This image is definitely much more than just an aesthetic and could actually be the cheapest beauty treatment you have ever tried. This article looks at exactly how cucumbers can be beneficial for your eyes and how to incorporate this regime into your life for maximum results whenever you need it.
Why is cucumber put on eyes?
The world of beauty has definitely evolved over the years with expensive lotions and potions on the market, but sometimes the cheap and easy options can be the best! The reason that people continue to put cucumber slices on their eyes is that it is a proven beauty method and it costs close to nothing. Before the skincare industry was as big as it is now, people would often reach for cucumbers in order to sort out their puffy eyes and it actually did the job well. You are probably wondering why it works so well and that is simply due to the components of cucumbers. Cucumbers are actually 95% water so they are obviously very hydrating.
They are also packed full of lignans, flavonoids, antioxidants, and cucurbitacins. While these nutrients and minerals might not mean very much to you, it basically means that cucumbers are hugely beneficial, both when eaten and when used on the skin. In addition to the fact that they are hydrating, they also boost collagen production which equates to smooth and healthy skin. Cucumber is actually a very common ingredient in skincare products but why spend a fortune when you can simply buy a couple at the grocery store? The fact that cucumbers are all organic and you can be sure that you are not harming the environment or animals is also a win. Next time you are buying ingredients for your salad, when you pick up a cucumber, you will know that they can be used for something else entirely!
Experts have said that cucumbers have no irritating ingredients that can be harmful to the eye area and therefore anyone can use them, except for those who might have an allergy to cucumbers. Interestingly, the fruit (yes, cucumber is actually a fruit) is grown in India as a food source but also more commonly, for clinical reasons.
The benefits of using cucumbers in your eye-care routine
There are many benefits to using cucumbers on your eyes and some of them are as follows.
- They have antioxidants and also cleaning properties that remove toxins from the skin which helps heal any wounds, and blemishes and also protects against any skin irritation. After using cucumber slices on your eyes regularly, you will soon notice how much brighter you look in your face.
- The high water content in cucumbers and also the bioactive compounds means that the fruit is great for reducing swelling, and inflammation, plus brightening and smoothing of the skin.
- Your face and especially the eye area will look smoother, fresher, and even younger after regular treatments with cucumber slices. Dry eyelid skin can be common with people of all ages but cucumbers should sort this out and have you looking and feeling better in no time.
- If you have had a rough night out or a grueling crying session, cucumbers can be just the cure you need due to constricting the superficial blood vessels around the eyes.
- They are very cheap, you can pick up a cucumber for less than a dollar and after you have cut off a couple of slices for your eyecare routine, you can very well just eat the rest!
How to do it
Start by slicing a couple of thin pieces from the cucumber, it's best if you get pieces with the seeds and place them over your eyes if you want the maximum benefits. It is also recommended that you cut pieces that are large enough to cover all your eyes and eyebrows. Getting your cucumber fresh from the refrigerator is recommended, you will feel an instant cooling effect and this is especially true if you are trying to get rid of puffy eyes. As soon as you put the cucumber slices on your eyes, it will feel instantly hydrating and relaxing. It is recommended that you keep the cucumber slices in place for between 5 and 10 minutes but just do what feels right for you.
Below you can find some other tips that the professionals recommend when it comes to applying cucumber slices to your eyes as part of your skincare routine.
- If you want to be sure that you are not exposing yourself to pesticides, you can peel the cucumber beforehand.
- It is best to recline yourself back when you apply the cucumber to stop the pieces falling off. This will also take the relaxation to a whole new level and perhaps you could even meditate at the same time as being pampered.
- It is best to do this routine when your eyes feel puffy or swollen. If you have an event coming up and you want to feel your best, you can also do this method the morning of the event.
- Experts say that cucumbers should NOT be used as an overnight treatment and the slices should only be left on for 10 minutes at the most.
If your eyes need depuffing, soothing or you just want a touch of hydration on your face - cucumbers could definitely be the best option, especially if you do not have a lot of money to spend on fancy products that might not even work. Hydration is guaranteed and before long at all, you will notice a huge difference in your skin and especially your eye area. You should see cucumbers as a safe and organic component of your skincare routine and if you have never tried them, give them a go today,