Many women find that they have chapped lips,the lips are dry and have cracks, especially during winter in areas with cold weather. Eating or even speaking with chapped lips can be painful. So these women are interested in finding the best way to treat the chapped lips so that they heal quickly. They would prefer to use a home remedy with easily available ingredients since it is convenient and inexpensive. One of the most effective home remedies for chapped lips is applying a lip mask to the lips. The lip mask should remain on the lips for sometime to replenish the dry lips and revive them by moisturizing them
The main ingredients of the lip mask are Greek yogurt or any other type of yogurt which will remove the dead skin from the lips while adding protein and moisture to the lips. Clay used in the mask will help in getting rid of the dry skin flakes or residues from the skin. If clay is not available, baking soda may be used. If a floral hydrosol like rose or lavender is readily available at home, spray the lip mask with the hydro-sol, for additional hydration of the lips. When the lip mask has been applied for some time, and lips rinsed to clean them, the dryness of the lips should have disappeared. Step wise instructions are provided below
Ingredients required for making the lip mask
- Quarter teaspoon yogurt
- Quarter teaspoon baking soda or clay
- Optional ingredient- rose, lavender or other floral hydrosol
Making and applying the lip mask
- Mix the clay (or baking soda) and yogurt to form a paste. A small amount of aloe or spray of floral hydrosol should be also added to the lip mask paste if possible.
- Applying a thick layer of the paste to the dry lips.
- If possible after applying the lip mask, the top layer should be sprayed with the lavender/rose hydrosol. This will help in proper absorption of the moisture and nutrients in the lips, and ensure that the lips do not get dehydrated.
- The lip mask should remain in place for at least ten to fifteen minutes.
- Rinse the lips to clean them and remove the lip mask.
- Usually the lips are sensitive after the lip mask is removed, so they should be sprayed with a hydrosol for moisturizing and healing. Additionally the preferred lip balm should also be applied to the lips for healing.