Sharpie is a quite popular brand of permanent markers that can be used on different surfaces, such as wood, plastic, clothes and metals. These markers use a special type of ink which is formulated from the chemicals like toluene and xylene. That ink can last on surfaces for a very long time. If you are here, you are probably looking for a solution to get that ink off the skin efficiently. Well, removing the ink of permanent markers from the skin can be quite frustrating and difficult. The marks can even take few days to fade or remove. But do not worry as we are here to tell you some of the best tricks that can help you in removing the ink quickly and efficiently from your skin.
We have provided some of the most efficient methods below. You can experiment safely with one of those methods and use it for removing the permanent marker's ink from the skin. Read on to know about these methods.
How to get rid of permanent marker from the skin?
When a Sharpie is used on the skin, it can take few days to actually go away completely with regular bathing and washing. But if you cannot wait for few days, then you can try some of the household remedies to remove it faster.
1. Scrub made of sea salt
Sea salt is a quite popular natural scrubber or exfoliator. You can mix some of it using warm water. Now, use the mixture gently over the permanent marker to take it off. You need to be really careful here and do not rub it harshly. It can cause damage to your skin.
- Take warm water and coarse sea salt in 1:1 ratio to make a paste
- Now, take that paste and massage gently on the inked areas for few minutes
- Use some lukewarm water to rinse it off
- Pat your skin dry and then apply some moisturizer
- Make sure to repeat this two times in a day
As the sea salt scrub can remove the top layer of the ink during exfoliation, it will look faded immediately. But it will not erase the ink immediately. It will take time.
2. Coconut oil or Olive oil
Both coconut oil and olive oil are easily available in most of the households. It can be quite beneficial to get rid of these inks or paints. These oils act as a barrier on your skin. So, if you are someone who uses these oils on a regular basis, then the chances are high that the permanent markers are not yet permanent. There is a coating of oil that is creating a layer between your skin and the ink. If you apply the oil again, it can lift up those permanent inks easily from your skin.
- First, you have to take some coconut oil or olive oil in your palm
- Then rub it properly over the permanent markers in circular motion
- After that, you have to gently wipe off the oil using a washcloth or paper towel
- Make sure to rinse the resides of oil using water and mild soap
- If needed, you can repeat it again and again
Besides these two oils, you can even use almond oil. But when you are using tea tree oils, be careful! It can be harsh for your skin.
3. Baby oil
The reason for using the baby oil is kind of similar to applying coconut or olive oil. This oil can help to get attached with the permanent marker ink and the natural oil on your skin to remove the stain. The only advantage of using baby oil is that they are good and gentle for your skin
- Take some baby oil on your palm
- Apply the oil gently on the inks
- Gently massage the oil in circular motion
- Then wipe the oil off with wet tissue or washcloth
- Rinse the residue using water and mild soap
You can use this method two to three times in a day. As these baby oils are approved to be used on baby skin, they are completely safe.
4. Banana peel
Some of the people think that banana peel can be extremely beneficial for removing the ink of the permanent markers from your skin.
- First take a ripe banana and then unpeel it
- Now rub the inside part of the peel on the ink
- Rub gently in circular motion for few minutes
- Then rinse it off using water
- Repeat the same using another peel
If you don't have much option for lotion or oil at your home, the safest option is to try butter. Butter has some similar properties like that of the oil.
- Take a smart portion of the butter
- Apply it properly all over the permanent marker ink
- Wait for some minutes
- Using a soft cloth you can rub gently over the stain
- Keep on rubbing till the ink stats to fade way and get removed
- Rinse it off with a mild cleanser and warm water
6. Mouthwash and Toothpaste
Other household ingredients that you can use are - mouthwash or toothpaste. The toothpastes come with some properties that can lighten up the stains. Hence, it can be useful on the permanent markers as well. Some of the mouthwashes are alcohol-based which can erase off the stains too.
- Take out ample amount of toothpaste for covering the ink
- Now rub the paste gently on your skin using the fingers
- Toothpaste can exfoliate the top layer of your skin
- It helps in removing the ink properly
- Along with that use some mouthwash and rub gently on your skin
It works better when you will use the mouthwash and toothpaste together on the permanent marker ink to remove it.
The spray on sunscreens or the quickly drying ones contain a bit of alcohol in it. This can help in dissolving the permanent marker pigments.
- Spray the sunscreen properly on the stained area to cover it completely
- Keep it like that for few minutes for the sunscreen to sink in
- Now, using a washcloth or a paper towel, wipe off the sunscreen
- Make sure to repeat this at a regular interval for removing the stain off
8. Shaving Cream
When it comes to shaving cream, you need to know that they usually come with a combination of soap and oil. Both soap and oil can help you in removing the oil from your skin.
- Take ample amount of shaving cream to cover the ink
- Apply it on and then let it be for some time
- With the help of damp cloth, rub the cream over your skin
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water
- Pat it dry and apply some moisturizer
- You can repeat it if needed
Household chemical-based Removers
Sometimes the cleansing products that are available at your house can be a great way to remove the permanent marker ink. Some of these removers are:
9. Rubbing Alcohol
If you are looking for the quickest solution to remove the permanent marker ink from your skin, then this is the best ingredient. It is easily available in drugstores and pharmacies.
- Dip your cotton ball in the rubbing alcohol
- Now apply it all over the marker ink
- Keep it on so that it can work on your skin
- Wipe off the alcohol using cotton ball
- Do not rub harshly on your skin
- Repeat this for few times till the mark is gone
- Apply moisturizer properly
10. Nail Polish Remover
With the alcohol and acetone content in the nail polish remover, it can be an effective solution for removing the permanent marker ink from your skin.
- You have to take 2 to 3 drop of the nail polish remover in a cotton ball
- Now, dab that on the ink on your skin
- Make sure to keep it placed for few seconds/minutes
- Let it work on your stains
- Wipe it gently and repeat again
11. Makeup Remover
The oil based makeup removers that are perfect for waterproof makes can be the best ingredient for removing the Sharpie inks.
- Take 3 to 4 drops of oil-based makeup remover on a cotton pad or ball
- Dab that all over your affected area and keep it for sometime
- You can massage the areas in circular motion too
- Rinse it properly with some warm water
12. Hand Sanitizer
Nowadays, everyone has access to hand sanitizers. It is an alcohol based product that can help you to remove the permanent marker stains properly.
- Take few drops of any alcohol-based hand sanitize on the affected area
- Now rub it gently with cotton ball or soft cloth
- Repeat the same process at regular intervals
13. Baking Soda & Water
Another very common yet very effective cleansing chemical that can help you to get rid of the permanent marker ink is - baking soda.
- Take a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with water
- When the paste is formed, rub it on the affected area
- Gently rub for about 2 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water
If you use toothpaste mixed with some baking soda, it can have a double impact on the permanent marker ink. It can help you to get rid of those inks quite easily.
Tip & Precautions to Follow
When you are removing the permanent marker or Sharpie ink from your skin using various ingredients and chemicals, there are certain things you need to keep in mind.
- Choosing ink that are safe for skin
The permanent markers are mainly designed to be used on different intended surfaces. But it can get on your or your child's skin. So, it is better to opt for a permanent marker ink that is safe for the skin. When you are buying it for making body art or tattoos, you have to choose a marker that is safe for the skin.
- Keep the markers out of children's reach
It is better if you can keep the permanent markers away from the reach of children. Most of these markers are not safe for your child. Instead, you can give them paints or markers that are designed mainly for the kids or children.
- Do the patch test first
Whenever you are applying any chemical or products that are not skincare product, it is better to do a patch test. This will help you to be sure that the product is safe to be used on your skin. To do the patch test, apply a bit of it on any hidden area on the body. Wait for few minutes to see if you are having any allergies or irritation. If not, then you are assured that the product is safe for you to use.
- Avoid contact in mouth or eye
When you are using the permanent marker ink removing agents and cleansers on your skin or children's skin, carefully avoid the contact with mouth and eyes. It can be dangerous if it gets in contact with the eyes or mouth.
- Alcohol is flammable
As hand sanitizers, nail polish and many other products mentioned above have certain amount of alcohol in it, you must be careful while applying the same on kids. It must be done under the supervision of the adults.
How much time will Sharpie take to remove from skin?
With regular washing, bathing and the secretion of natural oil of your body, the Sharpie ink can get removed in few days on its own. But you can use the chemical-based removers or rubbing alcohol to get that ink out of your skin faster than usual. Repeated using of these ingredients can help you to take off the Sharpie ink from your skin within 1 to 2 days completely.
Can you get poisoned from the Sharpie ink on your skin?
It is not possible to get poisoned by the Sharpie ink drawing on your skin
Can bleach help in removing Sharpie ink?
Bleach can be helpful in removing the stubborn ink of Sharpie. But make sure to use diluted version of bleach for dissolving the ink.
Can Sharpie be removed by hydrogen peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide can be used for removing permanent marker ink from the skin. You can pour some on the washcloth or paper towel to rub gently on that ink. Repeated use can help in fading away the ink.